RFR Board Elections - Fall/Winter 2022

An RFR board election is coming - again!

Two board seats are open for election following resignations this season.
Given the policies around board tenure and gender balance outlined in this other post , at least one of the elected board members will need to be someone who is not a man.

When
Candidates have two weeks - from now until Monday, December 5th - to acquire nominations.
We will then be holding the election during a three-week window from December 11th through December 31st.

How
Please stand by for more detailed information on how to vote. We will be using an online tool that supports ranked-choice voting.

How To Participate In The 2022 Election

Board Election Participant Eligibility - Pandemic Update

You are eligible to run for the board and to vote in the election if you have participated in at least two (2) of the weekend-long RFR events this year (i.e. the prior two game seasons) either as a player or as a volunteer (NPC, staffer, other volunteer). That participation can be at any combination of the three RFR LARPs: Witchwood, Port Katherine, and Entanglement.

To vote:

1. Please make sure you have an up to date email address in the Witchwood, Port Katherine, or Entanglement website site.
  2. If you are using two different email addresses or wish to specify a different one, feel free to email kep@redfeatherroleplaying.com to let me know what email address to use when including you in the voting system.

Candidates:

1. Get 5 people in the voting population to nominate you by Monday, December 5th.

You can collect nominations by either:

a) having five eligible RFR voters sign a paper nomination form ( RFR_ElectionNominationForm - Google Docs ), then emailing a scan/photo of the completed form to [kep@redfeatherroleplaying.com]

b) having five eligible RFR voters email kep@redfeatherroleplaying.com saying “I nominate [candidate name] for the RFR board” and stating their name. People nominating via email should use email addresses corresponding to the ones they use in Port Katherine or Witchwood systems.

1. Let me know how to handle your candidacy when applying the election policies for gender balance of the board described in this other post , specifying “man” or “not a man”. Specifying on the endorsement form is fine, or you can contact me directly at kep@redfeatherroleplaying.com.

We will take you entirely at your word, but this will be helpful in determining how to apply the board gender-balance policy to people who are agender, trans, non-binary, genderfluid, etc., because there are people for whom both “I am a man” and “I am not a man” may be true. Someone who is assigned male at birth and nonbinary may run as “I identify as man and I also identify as non-binary; for the purposes of the election, if the board has many men on it, please skip my place in ranked-choice voting and take the next highest candidate who is not a man” or “I am not a man; I am nonbinary”.

No one will be required to provide any legal documentation of asserted gender.

1. Recommended: Post a self-introductory statement on the forums (https://forums.witchwoodroleplaying.com/ and https://forums.portkatherine.com/ and Entanglement ) before December 11th, when voting begins.

Board Responsibilities

Red Feather Roleplaying is the parent organization that produces Witchwood and Port Katherine; it makes administrative decisions regarding budget, campsite rentals, insurance, policy, etc. As a board member of Red Feather Roleplaying you will be required to attend no fewer than two (2) board meetings per year. Meetings last approximately three hours and are attended remotely via video conference.

At these meetings it is your duty to civilly discuss the issues on the agenda and to vote in good conscience in what you believe to be the best interests of Red Feather Roleplaying. You may also submit items to be included in the agenda.

Originally, Board members were also primary investors in the corporation. All of the original investors have since been paid out, and we do not require any sort of monetary buy-in or investment from the newly-elected board member. It is our hope that whoever is elected to the vacant seat will be sufficiently invested in the well-being of the community as to make a financial stake unnecessary.

For additional information on board member responsibilities, please see Joy’s comment on the previous election post.

The current board consists of Joy Perkinson, Matt Kamm, Adrian Tatro, Brady Tatro, and Sarah Walden McGowan. The board can be reached, along with the non-voting attendees of board meetings (the Ombudsperson, Kep Peterson; the three game directors, Beth Baniszewski, Brian Misamore, and Ken Clary; and the Conduct Committee chair, Nuance Bryant) at: rfr-board@googlegroups.com.

You can also reach Joy, the board President, at joyperkinson@gmail.com. Joy is open to answer any questions about how the board or RFR operates, or about what serving on the board entails. I am also available to answer questions as best I can!

Sincerely,
Kep, Ombudsperson for Red Feather Roleplaying

1 Like

Edit: Given the current board makeup, we do not need to apply any eligibility constraints to meet the policy for maintaining board gender balance.