Rules Updates (1.4)

Below are the latest public rules updates. (We will post an updated rulebook before Spring 1.)

Increased Refresh: The overnight refresh rate is increased by +5. It is now 15,10 (meaning 15 CP per night if you stay in an in-game location, 10 CP if you don’t).

No CP Maximum: There is no longer a 300 CP limit for characters. However, see below.

Progression of Limitations: There is a progression of limitations, based on current total CP value:

• When a character reaches 100 CP total, their overnight refresh is reduced to 10,5 (10 CP per night if they stay in an in-game location, 5 CP if they don’t).
  • At 150 CP total, overnight refresh is reduced to 5,0.
  • At 200 CP total, overnight refresh is reduced to 0,0.
  • At 250 CP total, the season spending cap is reduced to 15 CP/season.
  • At 300 CP total, the season spending cap is reduced to 10 CP/season.

Changes to the season spending cap happen when the cap rolls over:

• For example, if you are at 243 CP at the beginning of a season, you could spend all the way to 263 that season, and would be limited to 15 CP for the following season.

Reduce: “Reduce” is a new response (alongside Resist, Parry, Ward, and Immune), which means that the call is used up, and was resisted, but in this case taken as some different, probably-lesser effect.

• The Retreat skill will use the Reduce response.
  • Other, similar advanced skills and NPC abilities will, as well. You’ll be notified if this changes anything for you.

Magic Focus Item Attunement: You are allowed to be attuned to one magic focus item of each type (rather than just one magic focus item, period).

• For example, while you can still only be attuned to one Wizard’s Staff at at an event, you can be attuned to both a Wizard’s Staff and a Wreath, if you have the requisite skills.
  • Note: if, for example, your Talisman has been reshaped into a sword or something, it still counts as a Talisman.

Red Hands and Gates: If you come across a red-hand sign, marking a door, doorway, path, etc, that is framed by lit lights, it is an open gate of the lights’ color.

• This is an allowance for a new type of gate prop staff will be trying out.
  • As usual, a red-hand sign not surrounded by lit lights (including one that is turned off) still makes the door, doorway, path, etc. impassible.
  • Rope lights and other existing gate props will still be used, as well.

Would it be possible to provide clarity on what it means to be an in-game vs out of game location, and how that interacts with searching and/or sleeping?

For example: If my cabin is in-game, can I get murdered/searched there if I am getting up after game on, or going to bed before soft stop? If I am napping in the middle of the day. Can it be searched normally during the day? Can it be searched if I am sleeping there during game hours? Is there a way to mark which cabins are in and out of game?

I’ll quote the book, then add a bit of commentary:

Cabins and Sleeping: Players generally sleep in cabins. Residents decide whether their cabin will be in-game or not.

• Clean and sweep your cabin at the end of an event.
  • The area under beds is out-of-game in all cabins; do not store in-game items there.
  • If your cabin is out-of-game, display a red hand (get one from staff) on the door or doorframe.
* Don't keep in-game items inside an out-of-game cabin.
* Don't retreat to an out-of-game cabin in the middle of a fight, etc.  Don't "spawn camp" an out-of-game cabin.
  • If someone is sleeping (for real) or in bed, you need explicit permission before any in-game interaction with them.
  • You may go out-of-game early, even in an in-game cabin — make it obvious (change out of costume, etc.) — stay out-of-game for the night once you do.

I guess that doesn’t say explicitly, but I can do so here: an in-game cabin might get searched and/or robbed at any time (during regular game hours), regardless of whether you are sleeping there. Except for the space under the bed, of course. And anyone/everyone should stay respectful of your real-world space and stuff and not go scattering your toiletries.

Everyone should still remember to not mess with actually-sleeping people (including messing with their bed), without prior permission.

You don’t need to “go out-of-game early” for the night to just take a nap, of course.

So if you’re taking a nap during regular game hours, in an in-game cabin (i.e. no red hand on the door), you don’t need to empty your pockets, but the stuff “out” in the cabin is still vulnerable. And you shouldn’t keep your in-game valuables stuffed under the bed.

If you’re still in the process of getting ready for bed / getting up and ready for game, you’re not gonna get murdered, unless you explicitly signed up for that.

There is a bit of a grey area around what happens to your stuff when you go visit an out-of-game cabin, or go take a nap. Basically, don’t abuse it. If you need a break from game, take a break from game, and you shouldn’t get bothered.

So if there is no red hand on the door, I should assume anything in the cabin is searchable, unless its underneath a bed (or it belongs to a person who is sleeping/out of game for the night in the cabin at the time)?

So if there is no red hand on the door, I should assume anything in the cabin is searchable, unless its underneath a bed (or it belongs to a person who is sleeping/out of game for the night in the cabin at the time)?

Yep.

Well, “belongs to a person who is sleeping” is about stuff on their person/bed; if there’s stuff out somewhere else, it’s searchable.

So it seems like if I want to sleep in an out-of-game cabin, I need to have a friend store my in-game valuables for the night in order to make them potentially searchable? Or can I stay in an out-of-game cabin, keep my valuables on me at all times, and again just “not abuse” the space to unfairly store stuff out of game that NPCs/other PCs should have a fair shot at getting at during the game?

So it seems like if I want to sleep in an out-of-game cabin, I need to have a friend store my in-game valuables for the night in order to make them potentially searchable? Or can I stay in an out-of-game cabin, keep my valuables on me at all times, and again just “not abuse” the space to unfairly store stuff out of game that NPCs/other PCs should have a fair shot at getting at during the game?

Overnight (2am to 9am), the game is in soft-stop, so you can keep your stuff in the out-of-game cabin. That’s outside “regular game hours” so you don’t need to worry about it so much.

The 1.4 rulebook, and the 1.4 primer, are now posted at https://new.witchwoodroleplaying.com/rules.

In addition to the actual rule updates:

• The section describing the Witchwood and Oak Harbor have been updated to reflect the current state of the world.
  • There is a new map of the camp / Oak Harbor.
  • The section on Focus has been updated with new examples.
  • It is now explicit that a Wizard’s Staff allows you to cast spell packets from inside a Greater Circle (in addition to regular Circles).
  • The updates on (re)casting Circle of Protection (see Clarification: recasting Circle of Protection) have been added.
  • Various fixes and clarifications throughout.