Venom Questions

From the rulebook under Scout:
“Venom Base (2*): You can apply 2 Venom doses to a single melee weapon.”

In another section of the rule book it states that Venom can be applied to projectiles for ranged weapons. Can a Scout use Venom Base to apply two doses of Venom to an arrow/bolt or is that an intentional restriction against projectiles?

Also, how does the double dose of Venom work? What do you call, and how is it resolved?

Also also, can you use a Venom augmented weapon/projectile in conjunction with another Call?

Lastly, does Venom require the attack to damage Vitality in order to take effect? Or does it bypass all types of armor to Poison the target?

Thanks!

I’m just a player, so nothing I say counts as an official ruling. That said: my comprehension is, the “double dose” just allows you to call “Venom” with the next two (2) consecutive strikes of a melee weapon.

Using “Venom Base” on projectiles or thrown weapons, whether or not it’s explicitly allowed, might therefore be unwise– because if you’re unable to reclaim the projectile, the second dose is effectively lost/wasted.

I don’t believe Venom has to damage Vitality in order to take effect; if my character is at 1 Vitality, and he takes a “Venom” call to the arm, he suffer the effects.

Ah!

That makes more sense. I wasn’t sure if it delivered a double-dose of Venom that might trigger a bloodshield with the first, and then poison the target with the second.

Since I was thinking about it from the archery perspective, I wasn’t sure of the intent. Might be a good balance point to allow archers with Venom Base to apply a single dose of Venom to two projectiles to make it useful to ranged weapons.

Eben’s answers are correct. Venom Base lets you “stack” a second Venom augment on a weapon, meaning the next 2 hits are “Venom.” And Venom ignores armor (and doesn’t do direct damage, anyway).

Venom Base allows you to use 2 vials on the same weapon. As stated, this might be unwise on ranged projectiles. But both Venom and Venom Base are allowed with them.

Note: if you miss, the venom isn’t used up, so in theory you can retrieve the projectile and reuse the venom, or both venoms, as the case may be. But this requires honestly tracking which projectile is which.

Might be a good balance point to allow archers with Venom Base to apply a single dose of Venom to two projectiles to make it useful to ranged weapons.

Venom Base does not “double” the Venom. Two projectiles would require two vials.

As above, Venom Base can be used with a bolt/arrow, though it’s probably unwise. It’s a skill more commonly used with melee weapons (if you’re an archer, you probably want a backup sword or something, anyway).